Posted on: May 16, 2023
We have 3 exciting part-time opportunities to join our team at House of Books & Friends in Manchester city centre with immediate start.
House of Books & Friends is a new independent bookshop. The bookshop is home to a café serving some of the best coffee and cake the city has to offer, with all of our Booksellers taking on a dual Bookseller/Barista role. Our vibrant events programme represents our diverse local community and social mission, and our Booksellers love getting involved with events.
Formed as a Community Interest Company, we are focused on delivering social good and connecting the local community, in the process combating loneliness and isolation. We work closely with our partner organisations to make sure that the best interests of the local community are always paramount. House of Books & Friends is not just a bookshop, it’s a social movement.
As a House of Book & Friends Bookseller, you’ll be community minded and passionate about books and people. You will also have a wide range of reading interests. Our Booksellers are outgoing, enjoy building relationships and chatting with all customers. You will be the face of our brand and our purpose, and you’ll need to help create a friendly, accepting, and safe space.
What you’ll be doing – Bookseller/Barista:
- Assist customers and answer their enquiries in person, online or over the phone.
- Serve customers in the café and assist with associated cleaning
- Approach customers to discuss and provide book recommendations
- Ensure the bookshop is restocked and maintain high presentation throughout
- Operate tills and stock control systems
- Process stock deliveries and returns
- Identify industry trends and possible commercial opportunities
- Develop, plan and lead events such as author events, children’s story times or book clubs
- Assist with social media content creation
What we’re looking for:
- Good level of book knowledge and curiosity about the industry
- Basic IT skills
- Bookselling or other retail/hospitality experience is desirable but not essential
- Able to work alone using own initiative
- Friendly, kind and outgoing
- Confident and able to remain professional under pressure
- Excellent written and spoken English
- £10.90p/h set to rise in line with the Real Living Wage campaign
- Staff discount
- Healthcash plan
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Staff discount
- A book on your birthday
- One reading day per year – we give you an extra day off each year to catch up on your reading.
- Mental health awareness training
- Full training will be provided so you can carry out your role effectively
Roles available and how to apply:
1 x 15 hours – consisting of 3 five-hour shifts. Must be available Saturday, Sunday and one other weekday.
2 x 22 hours – consisting of 3 five-hour shifts and 1 seven-hour shift. Must be available Saturday, Sunday and have some availability three other weekdays.
Please note, on weekdays we do not expect you to be available for the whole day. Some evening availability will also be important due to our growing events programme.
In order to apply for these roles please submit your C.V. and a cover letter detailing;
- A bit more about you and your personality
- Why you would be a good fit for the role
- Recommend us a book and tell us why
- Include your preference for a specific contract, your availability and any current notice period
Interviews will take place week commencing 29th May for an immediate start.
Please send all applications to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close 24th May 2023